Monday, September 3, 2012

Spinning Top, Peg Top

This weekend I hit a bunch of antique stores looking for various antiques on my checklist including Indian Clubs (workout clubs), cool wooden boxes, old fans, rubber stamp storage drawers, bocce/petanque balls and a few other things.

One of the things we came across were a bunch of old spinning tops, throwing tops or peg tops as they are sometimes called.  These are wooden spinning tops kids used back in the day.

I never used one and had to go to the internet to figure out how they were used. 

The throwing top, in general, is pear shaped, usually with some sort of point at the narrow end and which is wound by a cord and thrown to unwind the cord from the top, causing the top to spin.

I am guessing the ones I found are probably from the US and date back to 1930-1960s.  It would be interesting to see if there are any other miniature collectors out there that have these and if they ever use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment